St. Mary's - a Level II Verified Trauma Center
As the first Level II Verified Trauma Center, St. Mary's is proud to be a leader in the efforts to prevent trauma and injury. Trauma is the most serious and most preventable of all health problems.
A Level II Trauma Center is a hospital that is expected to provide initial definitive trauma care, regardless of the severity of injury. Strict guidelines regarding the availability of medical equipment and staffing are required to maintain this designation. Level II Trauma Centers provide comprehensive care, but can quickly transfer patients with more complex injuries to a Level I Trauma Center if needed.
Only a select group of medical centers receive Level II Trauma Center verification from the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (ACS-COT) - the gold standard of trauma. Verified trauma centers must meet the essential ACS-COT criteria that ensure trauma care capability and institutional performance. In order to achieve Level II status, a team from the ACS-COT reviewers conducted an exhaustive review of patient records, quality improvement efforts and interviews with physicians and staff.
What does it take to earn this distinction?
- 24-hour-a-day commitment by the medical staff, including trauma surgeons, emergency physicians, anesthesiologists, neurosurgeons and orthopedic specialists.
- Hospital staff committed to trauma, including staff in emergency, surgery, respiratory therapy, laboratory, radiology, critical care, nursing, pastoral care and rehabilitation.
- Availability of numerous clinical resources such as cardiothoracic surgery; internal medicine; neurosurgery; ophthalmic, maxillofacial and plastic surgery; pediatrics; radiological specialties and many others.
- Commitment to trauma prevention and to continuing education of the trauma team members.
- Dedication to continued improvement in trauma care through a comprehensive quality assessment program.
St. Mary's is the only healthcare provider with both a Level II Pediatric and Level II Adult Trauma Center in the region and has also been designated as a Level II Adult Trauma Center for Emergency Medical Systems Region 5 in the State of Illinois.