Perioperative: Same Day Surgery
Same Day Surgery (SDS) is located on the first floor of St. Mary's Medical Center near the Surgery Department and the Post Anesthesia Care Unit. Same Day Surgery is a 15 bed pre-operative unit where patients are prepped for surgery and an 8-bed post operative unit for phase II recovery.
The staff of the SDS department strives to provide a great "St. Mary's Experience" for all patients and family members served.
- All surgery patients (inpatient & outpatient)
Number of Beds:
- 1:1 to 1:2 pre-op or 1:1 to 1:3 post op
- Varied 8 hour shifts from 5 am - 9:30 pm, Monday - Friday, and one 10-hour shift on Saturday. Closed Sundays and holidays.
- Orientation is individualized depending on the experience of the RN and their current competencies. The RN is assigned a preceptor who guides the orientation process and even after orientation is complete the new RN always works with another RN who serves as a resource for questions or concerns.
- A Perioperative Staff Development specialist is available to assist with orientation and staff development needs.